June 20, 2010

World Cup Fever!!!

I have been eating, breathing, and living soccer the past week.  I absolutely go nuts when the World Cup comes around every four years. At no other time can you watch 64 world class (mostly world class anyway) matches in a month. I am just loving seeing all the different teams around the world trying to match up against the different styles of play. It also doesn't hurt that USA is having a decent showing so far.  We are nowhere near being world beaters at this point, but considering just 20 years ago we made our first appearance at the World Cup in 40 years with a team of college players I think we are at a good spot.  USA is at a point where they can be competitive in any match they play. Anyway, that is a post for another time. Here are a few of my highlights from the games I have seen so far.
  • South Africa scoring the first goal of the World Cup on a rip to the upper 90.
  • Mexico getting its own Dos a Cero on the French.
  • USA fighting back from being down 2-0 at the half against Slovenia.
  • Brazil beating North Korea with two typical Brazilian goals.
  • Japan beating Cameroon with a goal by Honda. You couldn't make that one up.
The cup is halfway through the second round of group games so more excitement is to come. I can't wait to see what will happen next.

No comments: