April 15, 2009

Thoughts About Learning

Lately I have made the decision to convert my other blog, Black Dilbert, into something that I hope will be a nice resource for software developers and engineers in the beginning of their careers. With that decision I needed to come up with a concept for the material, which meant I was going to have to do some reading. I picked up the book, Code Complete, which is considered a standard issue for software engineers. I started working my way through it over the past week or so and I have been amazed.

I am surprised at how many things in the book I have already learned in my time in the work force. At the same time, there are some topics in this book that I have missed over the past few years. It just goes to show you that you have to be continuously learning as we go through life. I think that is why I picked my career. I can honestly say that each day that I have worked as a software engineer I have learned something new. That learning is what makes me strive to be the best engineer I know I can be. I am going to make my mark on the profession somehow and someday.

I know this may be a bit of a random post for this blog after all of the humor I have been posting as of late. I just felt like it was a thought that I wanted to share. It isn't the first and certainly won't be the last.

No comments: